Tempura fried okra is a delicious side dish! We love tempura fried okra garnishing our Guinness Braised Short Ribs and creamy grits to add a crispy texture or as a butlered passed item during summer months with our fabulous comeback sauce. This tempura batter can be used for other vegetables such as onions, mushrooms, asparagus, green beans, and more including soft shell crab.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup of ice + 1 cup of water (measure each and combine then measure to yield 2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 cup of flour, sifted
- 1 cup of stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of fresh basil, chopped or chiffonade (optional)
- okra (fresh or whole frozen)
- oil for frying
- Beat the egg yolk in a bowl; stir in the ice water.
- Combine the baking powder, flour, cornmeal, and cayenne and whisk into the egg mixture.
- Season with salt and basil. Refrigerate for 1 hour or longer.
- Heat oil, stir the batter well. Immerse the okra into the batter, coating thoroughly and drain on rack for a few seconds.
- Place the okra in the fryer and fry until golden brown.
Article Provided By: Allison Thomas