It is undeniable that strawberry shortcake is a delicious American tradition, what a great recipe for enjoying the summer!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- additional sugar
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped and sweetened with powdered sugar
- Whip chilled whipping cream with chilled beaters in a chilled bowl. Sweeten with desired amount of powdered sugar. Set aside in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Spray baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg into large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In another bowl, blend milk and egg yolks with fork; stir into flour mixture making a soft dough.
- Divide dough into 6 portions; form into balls (use extra flour to pat on hands if dough is sticky).
- Pat balls out on baking sheet to 3-inch circles, spacing apart. Brush cakes with egg whites. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden and springy to the touch. Remove to rack; cool.
- Sweeten strawberries to taste.
- Halve cakes horizontally. On plate, begin layering with bottom of shortcake, then strawberries, then fresh whipped cream. Layer again with top of shortcake, strawberries, & whipped cream. Garnish with sprig of fresh lavender.
Article Provided By: Scarborough Fare Catering