Our meatballs are melt in your mouth and will spice up any Italian dish. These meatballs are spectacular by themselves, with pasta, or as a meatball sub.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 3/4 pound Italian pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped, divided*
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided*
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (20-ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatos
- Combine the ground pork and pork sausage, red pepper flakes, 2 cloves of chopped garlic, panko, grated cheese, eggs, parsley, salt and pepper, to taste, in large bowl. Form into 2-inch meatballs and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook until brown on all sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Meanwhile, start the sauce. Add the 2 tablespoons of the remaining olive oil to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, the remaining garlic. Saute until the onions begin to brown, about 4-5 minutes. Season the onions with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the tomato puree and the diced tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, stir in the meatballs and simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes.
- To serve, top with basil and Parmesan
Article Provided By: Allison Thomas