Every event is unique. Whether it’s a party, business event or wedding reception, each one has its own catering personality. Of course, there is one common goal when it comes to the food; give guests a meal that will leave them raving and singing culinary praises for years to come.
It’s not just the food that can make your guests excited, but also how you choose to serve it to them. One of our new favorite trends is family-style catering. We know family-style has been around for a long time and many restaurants feature it exclusively, but this new trend in catering is taking the concept up a notch! Family-style catering is elegant and provides a fun dining experience as guests are encouraged to mingle throughout the meal. Plus, there is just something wonderful about seeing big plates of delicious and beautifully plated food.
Not only is family-style catering perfect for smaller gatherings of about 50 people, receptions and rehearsal dinners, it also relieves some of the planning from the host because they won’t have to worry about picky eaters. The meal features many courses and guests can choose what they want on their plate and the portion size!
For family-style catering, we suggest beautiful massive tables to accommodate gorgeous centerpieces, china and glasses, and room for platters of food. For more intimate events with say 20 guests, we can provide two massive, king-size, eight-foot tables. And with a gorgeous centerpiece in the middle, it becomes a focal point of the space. Ah, we can just see it now!
So, what can you serve family-style? Well, anything really! The options are unlimited, and we encourage you to make your event unique. Check out these menus featuring family-style catering from a few of our recent events!
Fall Wedding Reception
- Artisanal Cheese & Fruit Display, Citrus Marinated Olives, Breads, Crackers
Including Pimento Cheese
- Spicy Pimiento Cheese on Benne Wafer with Pickled Okra
Passed butler style
- Raw Oysters with Cucumber and Finger Mignonette
- Freshly Steamed & Shucked Local Oysters with Sauces & Toppings, Crackers
- Field Greens with Country Ham-Cornbread
Honey Crisp Apple, Golden Raisins, Parmesan, Muscadine Vinaigrette
- Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin with Apple & Sausage Stuffing, Riesling Sauce
- Seared Grouper with Creamy Butter & Sage Sauce
- Roasted Fresh Haricot Verts
- Garlic Red Skin Mashed Potatoes
- Crème Brulee with Candied Orange and Amarena Cherries
Waterfront Social Event
- Black Bean Empanada, Avocado-Cilantro Dipping Sauce
- Crab & Gouda Stuffed Mushroom
- Shrimp, Avocado, & Cucumber Canape
All passed butler style
Family Style Dinner
- Spice Roasted Chickpeas, Citrus Marinated Olives, & Specialty Roasted Bar Nuts
At each table
- Mixed Greens & Arugula Salad, Grilled Peaches, Fresh Burrata, Pistachios, Salt Roasted Red Beets, Golden Raisins, Microgreens, Hazelnut Vinaigrette
- Grilled Fresh Grouper, Corn Maque Choux, Tomato Jam
- Flat Iron Steak, Chimichurri, Wild Mushrooms
- Chipotle Creamed Spinach
- Breads & Truffle Butter
- White Chocolate Cheesecake, Raspberry Sauce and Amarena Cherries
Are you feeling as inspired by this trend as we are? We would love to help you make your family-style catering vision come to life! Contact Scarborough Fare Catering today to get started planning your event!
Article Provided By: Allison Thomas