The sweetness of the pepper is an ideal pair with the sausage and the mushroom adds a sensational taste and texture to this tempting dish. To spice it up you could also use hot sausage in these sausage and cream cheese stuffed peppers!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 1 pound fresh sausage
- 1, 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 pounds medium size button mushrooms
- olive oil
- pastry brush
- Wash mushrooms and remove stems.
- Place mushrooms, hole side up, on baking pan. Brush mushrooms with olive oil and place in a 375-degree oven until tender and have produced some juice, about 5-10 minutes depending on size.
- Meanwhile cook sausage in pan over medium high heat until cooked through. Stir often to separate sausage into fine crumbles. Drain any grease from sausage. Add cream cheese and stir together over heat until cheese is melted through and combined well with sausage.
- Remove from heat and allow cooling. Using fingers or a spoon, stuff mushroom caps with sausage mixture. (Mushrooms can be made ahead to this point and refrigerated overnight and later cooked prior to serving).
- Return stuffed mushrooms to oven and bake until sausage mixture is golden and heated through, about 15 minutes.
Article Provided By: Justin Wilkes