These Creamy Brown Butter Sage Scallops are one of our newest additions. The scallops are delicate and delicious; topped with bacon jam to take it to the next level. They make a perfect passed hors d’oeuvres or an accompaniment to a fresh salad.
- 12 diver scallops
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme leaves
- Creamy Brown Butter Sauce
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- Bacon Jam
- 3 lbs bacon
- 4 cups shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cups onion, finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup bourbon
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- In a small sauce pot over medium-low heat melt butter and salt. Add sage and cook, stirring often, until the butter begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in cream and remove from heat.
- For Bacon Jam: Cook bacon and set aside. Add shallots and onions to fat and caramelize, then add garlic. Add spices. Increase heat, add bourbon and syrup. Boil for 2-3 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Chop bacon and add to mix. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Pat scallops dry with paper towels and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallops, in batches if necessary, and cook until golden , about 2 minutes per side.
- Add butter and thyme to skillet; cook until butter is melted. Tilt skillet slightly, and spoon butter over scallops for 1 minute or until cooked through.
- Serve immediately with bacon jam and top with brown butter sauce.
CHEF’S TIPS: When cooking scallops make sure the scallops are not touching. You also want to limit the number of times you flip your scallops.
Article Provided By: Allison Thomas