Luscious ripe peaches are available from street corner pickup trucks, to farmer’s markets, to grocery store produce shelves. This simple, but delicious recipe makes great use of this gem of a fruit. Bourbon poached peaches are a perfect summer treat! They are great by themselves or even better with a scoop of ice cream or a slice of cake.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 4 lbs peaches ( about 12)
- 2 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 vanilla beans; split & scraped (pods reserved)
- 1 cup bourbon
- 4 cups water ( plus water to poach peaches)
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile prepare an ice-water bath. Cut a small X into the bottom of each peach. Boil peaches for 1 minute.
- Transfer to ice bath. Let cool slightly. Peel and pit peaches. Cut into 3/4 inch wedges.
- Bring 4 cups of water, sugar, vanilla seeds & pods to a boil in a large saucepan; stir until sugar dissolves. Add peaches and bourbon. Simmer until the peaches are tender but still hold their shape. (about 5-7 minutes)
- Transfer peaches to a large bowl using a slotted spoon. Cook syrup over medium heat until reduced to half. (about 15 minutes) Pour over peaches. Let cool completely.
- Divide peaches among 12 ounce jars using slotted spoon. Pour syrup over top. Add vanilla pods to jars if desired. Seal jars and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To save time, frozen peaches work just as well however disregard the first two steps.
Article Provided By: Scarborough Fare Catering