Strawberry season is quickly approaching and to make use of fresh, sweet, locally grown strawberries by making this delicious flatbread pizza! The combination of ingredients may seem a bit funky, but trust me and make this pizza!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Flatbread or Pita bread
- Olive Oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2-1/2 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon of pure maple syrup
- 1 cup of strawberries, hulled and sliced lengthwise into 1/8-inch pieces
- 8-10 basil leaves, chiffonade
- Coarse sea salt
- Fresh goat cheese
- Balsamic reduction (balsamic vinegar reduced until thick and syrupy)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cool, stirring occasionally until browned and caramelized, 15-20 minute.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar and maple syrup; let cook until liquid is evaporated, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Brush flatbread with olive oil. Place strawberry slices on the top of the flatbread. Scatter the onions evenly on top. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil on top and sprinkle with sea salt to taste.
- Bake until flatbread is golden, about 10-15 minutes depending on style of bread used. Remove from oven and crumble fresh goat cheese on top followed by basil chiffonade. Drizzle with balsamic and serve.
Article Provided By: Allison Thomas